High efficiency reflector material for fluorescent and LED lamps
REM’s reflectors are made of synthetic film, coated with a catoptrical aluminum surface.
These reflectors are made of a multi-layer film made of a synthetic substrate that is durable under temperature and mechanical pressure.
This film is metalized on the surface with PVD technology (Physical Vapor Deposition) and is covered by a second protective transparent film on the outer surface.
The finished product offers the same reflectivity coefficient compared to simple, smooth and polished aluminum, or compared to anodized aluminum.
This innovation provides the following advantages:
1. Reflectors made of this material offer superb efficiency which leads to less luminaires per application and respective energy savings of about 30%, which is a significant percentage. For example:
420 Parabolic luminaires with synthetic reflectors INSTEAD OF 600 Parabolic luminaires with aluminum reflector
30%+ energy saving resulting from optics design
2. Reflectivity level of the synthetic film reflector (coated with aluminum layer) is 84.2% compared to the most common reflectivity level offered by aluminum makers which is around 85%.
3. Most important, however, is the Light Output Ratio – LOR of an applied reflector. Thanks to the geometric shape and ideal placement at an optimum distance beneath the lamp, the synthetic film reflector in actual installation conditions, provides a high Light Output Ratio (LOR) ranging between 80% and 95%. This result is obtained by using either a magnetic or electronic ballast of Ballast Lumen Factor BLF=1. The benefit is 50% to 120% increased light output at the working plane!
4. Thanks to the protective film, the vaporized aluminum is not vulnerable to corrosion from humidity or chemical factors, in contrast to aluminum. Synthetic film retains its reflection capability for many years, even in environments subject to high pollution or under a low maintenance level. Moreover, material can be easily cleaned during maintenance, with wet fabric or detergent.
5. The reflector material is not subject to iridescence due to refraction as is the case with aluminum and, subsequently, it does not affect the Color Rendering Index (CRI).
6. The reflector material is very lightweight, 50% lighter compared to aluminum reflectors and 85% lighter compared to iron sheet reflectors. This feature aids mechanical stability of false ceilings during disasters (i.e. earthquakes, fires) and facilitates the work of electrical contractors.
7. Sharp edges, a common issue of aluminum reflectors causing possible injuries, are simply nonexistent in synthetic film reflectors, while no deformation occurs from accidental or intentional pressure, contrary to aluminum reflectors.
8. According to the raw material technical characteristics of the synthetic film reflector, there is no degradation under UV influence for at least 30 years (indoor operation).
The technology for synthetic reflectors for luminaries used by REM is widely deployed in the U.S.A. as it represents 70% of the total reflectors’ output.
This same durable material that is used for the production of synthetic reflectors is found as a component in a wide range of applications for the construction of up-to-date electrical or mechanical parts (i.e. motor windings), electronic devices (i.e. capacitors) and data storage systems (i.e. computer diskettes).
It’s worth noting that the same material of reflectors is used as a standard material in high tech applications such as aerospace (construction of satellites), aircraft building and chambers for cryogenic science, with primary aim of limiting thermal radiation emission released into space (source: www.aerospace-technology.com) The reasons for choosing this material are its tremendous mechanical and thermal endurance under extreme conditions (-200°C until +130°C), and conditions that prevail in the higher stratums of the atmosphere and in space.
Technical features of aluminum coated film:
Dimensional stability under pressure_____240°C
Dimensional stability under tension______240°C
Continuous heat resistance____________130°C
Low temperature resistance___________-196°C
Glow wire test_____________________750°C
UL listed material___________________Yes